Friday, February 4, 2011

27 - The telephone

Ring! Ring! Ring! That’s the sound that a telephone makes. I think an invention that changed our life is the telephone. I am going to tell you why I think the telephone is an invention that changed our life.

Before the telephone, people only used telegrams, and you could only read what the other person wanted to say, but you can actually HEAR what the other person wanted to say with a telephone. It’s harder to tell somebody something in words than it is to just say it out loud. I’m not sure if that’s true for everybody, but it is for most people.

Also, it just takes a few seconds for a call to transfer from one telephone to the other. For telegrams it takes days to see the message. If you need to tell somebody some urgent news, a telephone would be handier.

Even though we have all the inventions and electronics we need today, I still wonder what it would be like to have new ones. Like flying cars, or even time machines! Then, you could go back in time to see all the inventions that weren’t there back then we still use today.......

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your piece. Here are some things I really enjoyed about your writing:
    1. It has a strong, unexpected opening line that created a sensation of hearing a phone. I like that you chose a non-boring way to start your piece. Because you surprised me, I wanted to keep reading.
    2. You imagine both the past and the future in your piece. You thought about what life was like before telephones, and what it will be like when phones seem like useless antiques.

    Here is a question, or suggestion I have for your piece:
    1. When you said "It’s harder to tell somebody something in words than it is to just say it out loud.", I was confused, because when you say something out loud, you ARE using words. I think you meant "It's harder to tell somebody something in WRITING than it is to just say it out loud."

    2. I wonder if you did research on telegrams? I think that when telegrams were common, they were actually a special, super-fast way to send messages, because most of the time people sent letters. Letters from another state or country took several days or even weeks to arrive, but telegrams could send information long distances in just a few minutes! I think you would be interested if you read more about telegrams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I liked most about your story is your enthusiasm for the subject. You are absolutely right. Telephones changed our lives. Sometimes I wonder how we ever got by without CELL phones. Now when your car breaks down, you can call for help from the freeway. In the old days, you had to hike off the freeway and find a phone booth.

    I wonder what is coming next, too. Flying cars sound good. ^_^ I'd like a robot that dusts the house. Now that would be awesome!

    Love, Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your article...
    and guess what - every day someone somewhere in the world is thinking of new inventions or ways of doing something. Imagine the future and you too can change the world. Have a great year at school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't it be something to have to rely on a telegram to get a message to someone. Or being on the other end, just waiting to get one. That sort of thing didn't have an answering machine/voicemail set up.
    We've come a long way in the invention world.

    ReplyDelete